Ofelia García is one of the leading voices in the field of bilingual education. She is my guest and accepted to answer my questions in French on Episode 6 of Révolution Bilingue.
Ofelia Garcia is Professor of Urban Education and Hispanic and Luso-Brazilian Literature at the Graduate Center of City University of New York. Born in Cuba, and an immigrant to the United States when she was a young girl, Ofelia is both a practitioner and theorist of bilingualism. She particularly defends the thesis of translanguaging, which examines the dynamic between the languages mastered by a bilingual person, and posits that bilingualism is more than the addition of two languages that would evolve separately in the brain.
The podcast “Révolution bilingue” is supported by French Morning and the Center for the Advancement of Languages, Education, and Communities.
-Podcast La Révolution bilingue-
In this podcast, launched by French Morning, I interview experts and practitioners and explore a multitude of fascinating topics from the fields of bilingualism and multilingual education. Find all the episodes here.
- Épisode 1: Ce voyage qu’est le bilinguisme avec Sean Lynch
- Épisode 2: Les mystères du cerveau bilingue avec Ana-Inès Ansaldo
- Épisode 3: L’éducation bilingue en France avec Christine Hélot
- Épisode 4: L’Utah, l’étonnant pionnier de l’éducation bilingue avec Anne Lair
- Épisode 5: Joseph Dunn, porte-drapeau du français en Louisiane